Tour de Cure 2011

Tour de Cure 2011

Thursday, February 17, 2011

It isn't too hard to see we're in heaven....

I got married to Nathan Sorey on July 25th, 2009. It was sunny, very warm, and so beautiful. It was the best day of my life.... We weren't planning on a baby until both of us were finished with school (one more thing I've dabbled in... haha), but apparently God had other plans. Spring Break 2010 Nathan, his mom, and I ventured to Wyoming because Nate really really really really wanted to go to school at Wyotech in Laramie and I knew I couldn't move to a place I'd never seen. I had taken 3 pregnancy tests before leaving, and I had one packed to take on the trip.All had come out negative so far. I started having stomach pains one day into our trip and I didn't say much because I thought it was just because I'd been cooped up in a car for hours and hours straight and no normal human feels that great after such a long ride in a car. I was cranky and distracted, dwelling on my anxiety about moving so far from home to a place where I knew absolutely no one. I kept praying to God that He would give me peace on this trip, that He would show me that this is what He wanted and that I would be okay. I prayed that my stomach pains would ease. I prayed that I wouldn't kill my mother-in-law or my husband along the way.
We spent a few days in Laramie, Cheyenne, and Fort Collins (Colorado), and then we headed home. About 4 days into the trip I had taken my 4th pregnancy test... also negative. I still wasn't that excited about moving. Actually, I might have been less excited about it if not for our trip to Fort Collins. I was pretty sure I could fall in love with that town, even though we only got to spend a few hours there (mostly spent in REI). And to make it worse, instead of getting better, my stomach pains had only gotten worse. On our trip home, we stayed in Lincoln, Nebraska, in a questionable motel. By questionable I mean I wasn't sure how long ago it had been since those sheets were washed. It was one of those places you see in the movies... you know the one, it has blinking, green florescent lights in the dim hallway that seems to stretch on forever. It wreaks of cigarette smoke. It's where people are found murdered and where the drug deals happen. Yes, that's the one. We stayed there. And it so happens that I had just had a hysterical breakdown before crashing onto the bed at 12am. I got hungry and my sweet, loving husband went out in search of food. When he came back with a microwaved vending machine egg roll, I wasn't thinking of all the bad connotations that normally come along with mental images of venting machine sandwiches and other such foods that should never come from a vending machine. I was only thinking of the way egg rolls normally taste and my mouth watered. I ate the whole thing. Later, about 2am, I woke up violently ill. And after throwing up every last thing that was in my stomach I continued to get sick. It was about 3:30am when we arrived at the Brian LGH emergency room. Nathan and I were convinced that I was extremely sick, if not dying.
After much blood work and much more waiting, the ER nurse came in with results. Her name was Rachel. She had a sweet, reassuring smile and a soft expression on her face. Just the kind of nurse you want to come tell you that you are dying. But that isn't what she said at all. Instead, she smiled and said, "You're pregnant."

That was on March 27th, 2010.
And so the adventure began...

1 comment: